Ride Our Way
Whether you’re an experienced rider or just starting up, there is always something to learn. Here are some of the topics covered:
- Pre- Ride check and maintenance
- Balance, braking and steering control
- Riding tactics, awareness techniques and safety skills
- Slow speed riding and control
- Higher Speed Maneuvers and skills
- Basic traffic behavior techniques
- Emergency/accident avoidance and risk management.
Our Course is an enhanced course which has the following features:
- Focus on safety and survival techniques in today’s traffic environments and riding conditions
- 18-21 hours of instruction of which 15% is in classroom. The remainder of time is based on interactive lessons, on-bike practice & demos.
- Large self contained training areas which are set up to simulate an urban environment with street layouts, traffic signs and lanes, crosswalks and contoured surfaces.
- SafetyNL provides a large selection of up to date well maintained motorcycles suited to every students needs.
- Well-paced instruction/demo format which enhances the learning environment. Plenty of space and time on the bike for practice exercises and skills improvement.
- Accredited by the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador (Motor Vehicle Registration Division) to do Motorcycle Road Testing under the “Graduated Driver Licencing Program”.
- For those who do not successfully complete the course the first time, two hours can be made available for additional practice, at no additional charge. Private lessons “one on one” with an instructor is also available at a rate of $ 60.00 (no tax) per hour. When you feel you are prepared to repeat your final course evaluation simply contact the office and have it scheduled for the next available evaluation date.
- When students have obtained a learner’s permit, and need “on street” practice towards their motorcycle rider Class 6 licence upgrade, private lessons are available with an instructor at a cost of $ 60.00 (no tax) per hour using SafetyNL bikes.
HOW IT WORKS
Upon successful completion of our course you will receive a course certificate. Present the certificate to the examiner at Motor Vehicle Registration (MVR) for an exemption of their balance test (covered during our course curriculum). Once you have passed your MVR written and vision tests you will receive your learner’s permit allowing you to ride (accompanied by a person who has had a motorcycle licence for at least four years) for a minimum of 30 days (Graduated Licencing Program restrictions apply – check the Road Users Guide for details). After the minimum waiting period expires you have the option of either being road tested by our instructors on SafetyNL bikes ($ 20 fee charged) or on your own bike at Motor Vehicle Registration.
What you will need for the course:
- Helmet that is not more than five years old. It can be full face, ¾ or “shorty” and must be DOT, BSI or SNELL approved. Novelty or beany type helmets which do not carry authorized DOT or other acceptable safety rating are not acceptable.
- Leather boots which provide ankle coverage with flat soles and low rise heels (sneaker boots are not permitted).
- Leather or other textile full fingered motorcycle gloves
- Motorcycle jacket (leather or textile) with armour in elbows, shoulder and back. Denim jackets would be acceptable but be aware that they do not provide the level of protection as leather or standard motorcycle jackets.
- Eye protection (helmet visor, sunglasses or safety glasses).
- Jeans, protective leather or textile riding pants
- Rain gear (optional) but is recommended
We require 48 hours’ notice to transfer or to cancel a registration. A $50 administration fee will be charged on all cancellations. If a student cancels less than 48 hours’ prior to the start of the course and no replacement is found, no refund will be issued. Individuals who register and fail to attend or fail to complete the course will not be eligible for any refund.
All refunds must be requested before October 31st of the current year. No refunds will be issued after this date.